Welcome to the Arizona Chapter of the International Association of Assessing Officers
AZ IAAO March Spotlight
- Yavapai County was founded November 9th, 1864. It is named after the Yavapai People – People of the Sun; who were the majority of inhabitants when the area was annexed into the United States of America.
- Yavapai County is one of the original four counties created by the 1st Arizona Territorial Legislature.
- Yavapai County’s current boundaries were established in 1891, but not before Apache, Coconino, Maricopa, and Navajo counties were carved from the original Yavapai County acreage.
- Yavapai County is 8,128 square miles.
- Yavapai County has 137 registries with the National Register of Historical Places.
- Yavapai County, Prescott specifically, is home to the World’s Oldest Rodeo, since 1881.
- Prescott is Arizona’s Christmas city.
- Prescott is both the Arizona’s Territorial and original State Capital.
- Yavapai County has a total of 169,722 accounts valued by the Assessor, and 10,486 which are not such as CVP, for a total of 180,208 accounts
- There is a law, still on the books, that states, “No one is permitted to ride their horse up the stairs of the Yavapai County Courthouse”.
For information about the Smoki Dancers please see the following link: